We hope that everyone had a fantastic Labour day long weekend! After a long hiatus, it’s exciting to finally be back in the swing of everything REVEAL related! Our executive team is delighted to share with you what’s in store of the next few months.
At REVEAL, we truly believe in self-development; helping individuals reach their fullest potential is our core value, and we wanted to spread the energy over to motivated and curious high school students. After a successful launch of our IGNITE Competition this past June, we are excited to announce that IGNITE will be returning this fall! With the timing of our second IGNITE Competition, we have also decided that our official REVEAL Competition will be held in January 2015.
With summer coming to an end and school beginning over the next few weeks, many business students would unanimously agree that one of the most stressful moments in university is landing a job upon graduation. Recruiting season for most firms typically kicks off during the fall, whether the field is Accounting, Marketing, Finance, or Consulting.
Whether you’re looking for an internship or a full-time position, here are some quick and important tips to always keep in mind:
1. Be Prepared – Through the entire process from networking to interviewing to accepting that job offer, always stay one step ahead of the game. Utilize your resources to the fullest, whether it is through school clubs, company websites, or even LinkedIn. Make sure you are constantly improving your resume, do your research, be an active listener, and ask engaging questions when given the opportunity.
2. Be Professional – Showing professionalism is something that might not put you over the edge against another candidate, but will certainly hurt you if not taken seriously. Non-verbal communication is just as important as the things you say, meaning that all the little things count: Being conservative and well-dressed, giving firm handshakes, showing courtesy, having business cards – it’s all in part of the basic manners of the business world.
3. Don’t be too nervous – This one is always easier said than done. But at the end of the day, the person sitting across the table asking you questions is really just another human being doing their job. They want you to be a fantastic candidate as much as you want to be one yourself. It’s normal to be a little anxious but if you’ve done the necessary preparation, just take a moment to gather your thoughts and don’t forget to breathe.
4. Let your personality shine – It is no secret that companies are looking for people who fit into their corporate culture. The golden rule is that people buy people. Showing a bit of your personality while maintaining a professional demeanor is key. Never be afraid to talk about your goals, your interests, and your aspirations. Master your elevator pitch, but remember that whatever message you’re trying to convey, do not let it be a script.
5. Show them that you want it – Recruitment can be a competitive process, but don’t let that intimidation deter you from showing commitment. With thousands of applications to one job posting, majority of applicants are most certainly qualified ones. What separates two fantastic candidates from one another is being able to show why you want that exact position with that specific firm. Does this position guide you towards your long-term goals? Be firm, know what you want, but always keep in mind as with the classic rule of dating, do not be desperate.
Good luck to everyone starting school again this year! Remember, if you don’t take initiative and risk failure, you will never achieve. Stay tuned for more regular blog posts and updates from the REVEAL team.